Baxter considers price, quality, environmental criteria and other factors when selecting and evaluating its suppliers.
We consider several environmental and social factors as we integrate sustainable practices into our procurement. We collaborate with our suppliers to identify opportunities to improve environmental performance and promote human rights throughout our supplier base.
Requests for Proposal and Supplier Agreements
We incorporate sustainability in requests for proposal (RFPs) and supplier contract templates globally. This reiterates our commitment and provides a means to assess each supplier's ability to support progress towards our sustainability goals and conduct business consistent with our supplier standards.
Suppliers are asked to provide the following information via an RFP:
- Their sustainability policy and mission statement;
- A description of company sustainability initiatives and outcomes;
- A list of sustainability-related awards received;
- Disclosure of environmental violations and fines for the past three years;
- Details on purchasing from diverse suppliers, particularly related to products and services in the RFP (as applicable); and
- Information about other initiatives that would support progress against Baxter's sustainability goals.
Our standard supplier agreement requires U.S.-based suppliers to certify compliance with federal and state equal opportunity laws. Suppliers also commit to making good-faith efforts to consider small, minority-owned, women-owned, veteran-owned and other diverse suppliers when engaging their own suppliers. See Diversity Supplier information below for more about our efforts in this area.
The agreement also encourages suppliers to identify products and/or services for Baxter’s use with reduced environmental impact. We ask our suppliers to provide regular updates on their sustainability activities.